Click Here to Open All FAQs 

Click on the question to expand and reveal the answer!
What do I need to do if I receive a grant?
You must:  
  • enter into a funding agreement with DTESB
  • deliver the project as per the funding agreement
  • provide a final report and business action plan within 4 weeks of the project’s completion. 
DTESB can provide a template for the action plan if requested. Each action listed in an action plan should detail the task or activity, its objective, implementation date, who’s responsible, and the costs or resources required to deliver.

When will funding be available?
If your application is successful, funding will be provided once you complete and acquit the project. The funding will then be paid directly to each consultant or service provider. You must endorse payments directly to those third parties where required.

Can I alter my application after funding has been allocated?
If you are unable to complete the approved project, you must immediately notify DTESB in writing. Any change to your project will need to be reassessed to ensure funding will still be granted. If you change your project without approval, DTESB can withdraw the funding.

I have two projects in mind. Can I apply for a grant for each project in this round?
No. You may submit one application only for each stage.

Do I have to be setting up a new business?
No. Your application can be for a new or existing business.

Do I have to be operating an existing business?
No. Your application can be for a new or existing business.

Where can I find a consultant?
Your closest Business Enterprise Centre or local chamber of commerce may be able to help you find someone with the relevant experience to help you. 

Can I use my own consultant?
Yes. It is always good to work with someone who already knows your business and has your trust. 

Can I use more than one consultant?
Yes. You can use one or more consultants, but the total grant limit of $2500 (excluding GST) applies. 

Why do I need to produce an action plan?
Your action plan is a very important document—it sets out what you will need to do to develop and grow your business. To receive payments under stage one, and to progress to stage two, you must provide your action plan.

Do I have to be located in Queensland?
Yes. The funding is provided by the Queensland Government for Queensland home-based businesses.

Do I need to be registered for GST?
No. You do not need to be registered for GST to receive a grant. However, we recommend you seek independent professional advice on your GST obligations. 

Payments will be made directly to the consultant or service provider on receipt of a valid tax invoice, and the value of the grant payment increased to compensate for any GST.

What are my tax obligations?
Grants are treated as assessable income for tax purposes, unless exempted by law. We recommend you seek independent professional advice on your tax obligations.

I have not started my business. Can I get an ABN?
Yes. To get an ABN before starting your business, you must be able to show that your business structure is in place (this includes being a sole trader), and you must also have undertaken sufficient activities to commence an enterprise. 
These activities can include:
  • consulting with financial or business advisors
  • completing a business plan and/or financial projections 
  • applying for finance
  • conducting feasibility studies 
  • leasing or purchasing equipment for the business 
  • obtaining licences to operate 
  • advertising your business. 
For more information, visit

What are some examples of home-based businesses?
Home-based businesses cover a range of areas. Some examples are in the table below.

 Business area  Examples 
 Agriculture, forestry and fishing
 Shearer, market gardener
 Communication services
 Mail service provider, web designer, desktop publisher, graphic designer
 Construction services 
 Bricklayer, plumber, carpenter, tiler, fencer, electrician, builder, engineer, draftsperson, cabinetmaker, woodworker
 Culture and recreation services
 Motion picture editor, sound engineer, artist, musician, piano tuner
 Tutor, lecturer, music teacher
 Finance and insurance
 Financial adviser, consultant, accountant, bookkeeper, insurance broker
 Health and wellbeing
 Dietician, chiropractor, counsellor, physiotherapist, psychologist, massage therapist
 Bed and breakfast operator, caterer, camping ground owner
 Personal and other services
 Personal trainer, photographer, hairdresser, beautician, childminder, dressmaker, event manager, cake decorator, jeweller, pet groomer
 Property and corporate services
 Plant hire or leasing operator, architect, surveyor, interior decorator, house painter, cleaner, gardener, service and repair operator, sign-writer, tree lopper 
 Transport and storage
 Courier, freight carrier, removalist
 Wholesale and retail trade
 Fresh fruit and vegetable wholesaler, confectionery supplier, florist, watchmaker

Can my husband or wife own or be employed by the business?
Your spouse or de facto can part-own or be employed by the business. However, the person applying for the grant must own at least 50% of the business.

Can I get paid directly?
Wherever possible, payment will be made directly to the consultant providing the advice (after you have advised that the work is complete and satisfactory). If for some reason this is not possible, DTESB may consider other options. Make sure that you include the reason in your application.


to go to the website to view or start the application. Contact us by using the "Register Now" option on the website when you have reached the consultants detail stage of the application and arrange a time to complete the form. NOTE: Applications close 5pm Thursday 24th September.